Monday, December 21, 2009

How Gifts Change

I was at the mall with my niece today; she's 13 and the tom-boy type. It was interesting to hear her perspective on gifts. She said she doesn't get friends gifts; they just give a candy cane and say Merry Christmas. They did gifts in 6th and 7th grade and realized it was silly! When she shops for family, she is more focused on just getting something than finding something the person will really like.

For me, finding the perfect present for people is the toughest and best part about Christmas. I will confess... I'm not great at receiving gifts, but I LOVE giving them. Over the years Christmas has become more and more about seeing things that remind me a person and just getting them, even if I hadn't planned on it. (Within reason of course!) This year I still have a few more gifts to get, and a few family members that I'm really just not sure what to get them. In those case, I go with experiences: restaurant gift cards, tickets to something.

What do you do when you just can't find a good gift for someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment